Tuesday 4 November 2014

Production of Music Video: Framing Our Shots



In this post I want to talk about my framing of shots and how I decided to improve them. 

This is an example of a not so good shot. The subject isn't directly in the middle and in the view of the audience. Although not all music videos have their performer in the center of the screen all the time. In this shot there is a lot of open space to the left. Since in photography we learn about the rule of 3rd's and I remember from previous lessons we also used it in media. I decided to apply it. The original shot is too distanced from the performer and as a person who views rap music videos often; I tried to imagine what I would expect from this genre of music on a screen. 

 

Therefore I placed the tripod lower then Kace and made a low angle shot that he could rap into. The masked people stayed in the same position. However there was a sharp light in the back the would darken the entire shot, this caused a problem as it was hard to see Kace's face even with the head light on the camera. At this point I directed Jonathan(to the right) to not move his head and block the light. 
This shot works a lot better because it feels more direct to the audience. They feel more involved and adds to the entertainment factor.


From this experience I learned if I want to know how to set up a nice shot I just have to imagine what the audience would expect, and use my previous knowledge of watching music videos. Then blend this in with some creativity. Also add elements of cinematography. For example the masked are placed just enough to be seen side by side of Kace's shoulders. This sticks with our element of Life and Death, Heaven and Hell theme. They are meant to represent Kace's 'demons' but also the Angle and Devil on each shoulder.

No comments:

Post a Comment